Questions below include only those appropriate to students at the IST
November 2002 (Old syllabus)
14. Assess the effects of the creation of the Bolshevik Party on
Russia up to 1921.
15. How effectively did Stalin deal with domestic opposition between
1924 and 1953?
16. "The Treaty of Versailles was fatally flawed." To what
extent do you agree with this statement?
17. How far do you agree that the principles upon which the League of
Nations was based were unsuitable for the political and economic
realities of the 1920s?
18. How far do you agree that the Spanish Civil War was really an
ideological struggle between fascism and communism?
20. Why, and with what effects on Europe, was the Nazi-Soviet Pact
signed in August 1939?
May 2003 (First examination of new syllabus)
14. In what ways, and for what reasons, did the First World War lead
to economic and social changes? Specific examples should be given from
one or more European countries for the period 1914 to 1930.
15. Compare and contrast the nature and results of the two 1917
16. Analyse the political developments and external relations of
either Weimar Germany between 1919 and 1933 or Great Britain between
1918 and 1935.
17. Why had Stalin become ruler of the USSR by 1929?
20. To what extent was the failure and collapse of the League of
Nations the cause of the Second World War?
21. Assess the rule of either Franco in Spain or Caetano in Portugal.
14 Why did Germany sign an armistice with the Allies in November
15 What was the impact of the First World War on Russia between 1914
17 What were the aims and achievements of Stalin’s foreign policy
between 1928 and 1941?
19 Why did the policy of "collective security", established
by the League of Nations fail to prevent the outbreak of the Second
World War in 1939?
20 To what extent was the involvement of foreign powers decisive in
securing a Nationalist victory in the Spanish Civil War (1936-1939).
14. Why did Germany and her allies lose the First World War?
15. Assess the part played by Lenin in the 1917 Bolshevik Revolution
and in the new Soviet State until his death in 1924.
16. Compare and contrast the economic problems faced by two
European countries between 1919 and 1939.
18. To what extent were the aims of Mussolini’s domestic and
foreign policy achieved between 1923 and 1939?
19. In what ways, and to what extent, did foreign aid to both the
Nationalists and the Republicans between 1936 and 1939 contribute to the
outcome of the Spanish Civil War?
20. How important were appeasement and the collapse of the League of
Nations as causes of the Second World War?
21. Assess the impact of the foreign policy of either Stalin between
1941 and 1953 or Khrushchev between 1956 and 1964, on the USSR and
November 2004 (incomplete
based on ‘popular’ questions only, no Spanish question.)
12. “Although Germany was blamed for the outbreak of the First
World War other countries were equally responsible”. How far do you
agree with this statement?
14. Compare and contrast the contributions of Lenin and Trotsky to
the establishment and development of a communist state in Russia between
1917 and 1924.
16. “Unwanted and unloved”. How far do you agree with this
assessment of the Weimar Republic in Germany between 1918 and 1933?
17. Compare and contrast the foreign policies of Hitler and
18. “He brought his country and his people nothing but harm”. To
what extent do you agree with this assessment of Stalin’s domestic
policies in the USSR between 1929 and 1953?
19. For what reasons and with what results, did Britain and France
pursue a policy of appeasement in the 1930s?
14. To what extent was the Revolution of February/March 1917 in
Russia, due to the nature of Tsarism and policies of Nicholas II?
15. Analyse the social and economic changes caused by the First World
War, in one European country, up to 1929.
16. Lenin wrote, “One step forward two steps back; it happens in
the lives of individuals, and in the history of nations.” To what
extent can this quotation be applied to Lenin’s revolutionary career
and his rule of the USSR 1918 to 1924?
17. Assess the strength and weakness of Weimar Germany between 1919
19. What were the results of the Spanish Civil War for Spain and for
20. Why did international diplomacy play an important part in Europe
in the inter war years?
21. Analyse the effects of the Second World war on the USSR between
1941 and 1948.
13. Why did Nicholas II survive the 1905 revolution, but lose his
throne in the February/March 1917 revolution?
14. In what ways,
and to what extent, were German and Austrian policies responsible for
the outbreak of the First World War?
15. Compare and
contrast the part played by Lenin and Trotsky in the development of the
USSR between 1918 and 1924.
16. To what
extent did collective security become a victim of economic problems in
the inter-war years?
20. To what
extent was the Spanish Civil War caused by divisions in Spain and in
21. Account for the
successes of Nazi Germany in Europe between 1938 and 1942.